Friday, October 25, 2013

Reno Happenings

My time in Reno has been fairly unremarkable. I am staying at a location right downtown, so most things are within walking distance, the weather has been wonderful, there are many things to do (even during what appears to be the downtime in which I came), and should you choose to gamble or go out for cheap meals, that is an option as well. Other than that, I am sure most people would be bored here.

Arriving late at night, I decided to stay at the La Quinta Inn close to the airport that first night. They offer a complimentary airport shuttle, breakfast that starts later than most, and as an Elite member, I get a bottle of water and a cookie upon check in :) Of course paying for it with points didn't hurt any either! I had a great night sleep, a bite to eat in the morning, and reserved a shuttle back to the airport for around noon (check out time).

I was a half an hour early for my car reservation but decided it was close enough. Not really knowing where I was going or how to get around, I felt that a car would be a good idea. Then I discovered that I was staying right downtown and just about everything was either within walking distance or reachable by the RTC Sierra Spirit! And if it isn't on this bus route (.25/ride), one could utilize the regular bus service RTC Ride. I could have saved a bit of money, but at least I am earning bonus miles for my trouble.

I have spent a lot of time in my room while here, and I am good with that. It has given me the chance to relax and recuperate and get work done. I did, however take walks around town nearly every day. I happened past the Bowling Center, the Automobile Museum, went down the River Walk, and even walked past City Hall which is conveniently located approximately 500 yards from two different wedding chapels!

I did also utilize the rental car. I drove to Carson City via Virginia City and Gold Hill, I went out to Sacramento and traversed Lake Tahoe on the way back. This involved traveling along the Mt. Rose Highway (is that its actual name?), which was a bit on the nerve-wracking side for me!

Last night I went to the comedy club "Catch a Rising Star" and had a few laughs, some at my own expense. Tonight it will be the planetarium where I will include two of the shows: "Extreme Planets & Starlight Express" (this may actually be two separate shows, but they are listed together) and "Pink Floyd's Darkside of the Moon." I am really looking forward to these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment