Monday, September 30, 2013

The Flight Home! (TPA - FNT)

While I have been told repeatedly that Delta is not the way to go, I have stayed loyal to them for many years. I do not see that changing anytime soon unless something drastic happens. So, once again, I used them to get me back to my place of origin, or at least as close as I can get by air.

It started out as many other days. I awoke in a drab hotel room with very limited lighting, turned on the shower that would take 10 minutes to heat up to lukewarm (good thing there was little pressure as well), worked away at the spinach alfrado pizza from the previous evening, and tried to mentally prepare myself for the journey that lay ahead.

The hotel shuttle was scheduled to leave at 5:15am (the free breakfast starting at 5:30am of course), and my flight was scheduled for a 6:00am departure. The airport was almost 10 minutes away, so I was a little more worried than I normally am when I entered the lobby 5:05am. Fortunately, the driver was sitting on the lobby couch and pounced on the opportunity to ask if I was going to want a cup of coffee. I grabbed a coffee from the not yet open breakfast set-up, followed the driver to the van, and prayed that traffic would be light and the lights would be green.

We arrived at the airport safe and sound. I was going to check my backpack so I wouldn't have to deal with the inconvenience of carrying both it and my computer bag on board, but with running late, I barely felt like I had time to print the boarding passes from the machine (I had left my smartphone on the seat of my car at the airport in Flint! Apparently while the phone may be smart, I am not!). I rushed to the shuttle that takes one from that portion of the airport to security. By this time I was counting the seconds: they were already boarding my flight! Fortunately Tampa has TSA Pre-Check, so I was able to breeze through security at a fairly rapid rate. I made it to the gate where there was a long line. This was not general boarding yet, but there were already a large amount of people boarding. I got in line knowing what the end result would be: I would be unable to find a place for my backpack and would have to have them valet check it for me. I was almost right. Happily, while I didn't get upgraded, my backpack did!

The flight itself was uneventful. We arrived at the Atlanta airport where I would have a short hour and a half or so layover. We landed at gate B 33 and my next flight was at B 36! It was less than a five minute walk to the Delta Lounge where I decided to sip on an orange juice and surf the net. The next flight left on time. I missed getting upgraded on that flight by one; however, the middle seat was empty, so I wasn't complaining! I did manage to spill the apple juice I got on the plane though :(  Arrival in Flint was relatively painless. I had parked in the economy parking lot at around $6/day, and the shuttle took me right to my car. My phone was still there with the 5 missed calls I received, and I was on my way home to once again pretend to relax after the successful end to yet another journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment